Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Do You Love Six-Man?


Do you know my friend Granger Huntress? I bet you do. He is the Six-Man GURU. He is a very talented guy and wears many hats. As Six-Man fans, you know him best for his web site, sixmanfootball.com  perhaps better known as THE BIBLE OF SIX-MAN FOOTBALL IN TEXAS.

Granger ranks EVERY team in Texas playing the sport we all love. Last count shows a total of 253 schools. Ranking that many schools is unbelievable. He does this with the help of a computer that most of us jokingly refer to as " the toy".  The time spent chasing down schedules, then getting scores for every game, then feeding the information into his computer.....few understand the work and the time he pours into "our" sport.

I love Six-Man and wish that I could see all of the 71 D1 schools and all of the 64 D2  schools play. Impossible! Can't do it. I don't dislike private schools or Independents but I have my hands full with the public schools. Living in Abilene, sixmancentral, is a blessing and a curse.

I usually choose a game based on what I feel has the makings of a great game. It could be two winless teams going at each other. Most likely I choose games with highly ranked teams playing each other. I also consider if I believe there is some kind of historical nature involved. All criteria taken into account, I am often conflicted when deciding. This week I am conflicted. I so want to be in Windthorst Friday night to see them take on Throckmorton. The first half of the game will be played as an eleven-man game. The second half will then be played as a Six-Man game. How often does that happen? On the other hand it is quite possible Lance Morris of Ira will break the career rushing mark in Paducah. Borden County travels to Water Valley in what should be a great game. Decisions, decisions.

Just for fun I put together a ten team watch group. These 10 teams intrigue me for various reasons. Some are playing Six-Man for the 1st time this season while others I am drawn in by their coach.

Anton 3-2
Campbell 1-4
Chester 1-4
High island 3-1
Lingleville 3-2
Marfa 2-3
Mt. Calm 3-2
Nazareth 1-4
Rotan 0-4
Savoy 5-0

All in all, I love Six-Man football.

Don Hardin
Abilene

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best analysis of Texas sixman football that I’ve found online.so happy I saw a link on the Unofficial Texas Six-man Football Rankings facebook page. Keep being passionate about the best sport in the best state, cant wait for the next post, will be checking daily now. One thing that would be cool would be to add a combined public and private power rankings, with a few sentencs about each team in the top ten, simliar to the way ESPN does its Power Rankings (http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings )