Tuesday, September 4, 2012

WEEK ZERO REFLECTIONS


STUDS and STEPPERS

You know this to be true but I hit on it anyways. Six-Man Football is a team sport. Win as a team or lose as a team, you are a team. It is difficult for one player to carry a team. I agree every team has a dominant player and when he is on his game he can make a powerful impact. Truthfully speaking, then it must be equally true that if the “stud” is not on his game, that too will produce a huge impact even though it will be negative.

That will happen. When the stud becomes a dud trouble is brewing unless someone “steps up”. I believe I have already said this is a team sport. When another player(s) step up there is still a chance that a win can be salvaged.  Without “steppers”, defeat will surely come. I say all this to say this, know your role on the team young man.

So you are not the stud you can certainly be a stepper. Ok, pay attention to this. If your teams stud studs and the steppers step consistently, you may well have a special season. If your stud studs and your steppers don’t, you will win some and lose some and in the meantime your stud breaks his back trying to carry the team. If your stud doesn’t stud and your steppers don’t step consistently, the proverbial plow gets cleaned.

IMPRESSED

I watched 18 teams this past weekend. The team that impressed me most in WEEK ZERO actually lost their game. It appeared to me that the Gordon Longhorns did not have a stud. Boy! They did have a team. Six steppers or more. They played as a team on offense and defense. I will predict the Longhorns are going to have a great season.

SPECTATOR

I was a spectator at two wonderful events this past weekend. Thursday and Friday I saw five games played in Jayton at their 9th Annual Gridiron Classic. Five games was not enough. On Saturday I found my way to the 9th Annual Hico Six-Man Super Saturday to watch four more games. How do they do it? How can they be so successful year in and year out? Volunteers are a big reason. Another reason, the organizers of these events do not rest on their laurels. They don’t rest period. Jayton and Hico organizers are already working on their TENTH ANNUAL EVENTS!!!

No comments: