Sunday, September 11, 2011

Long Tough WEEKEND

I love football. Really, I do. It is hard for me to get enough football. It is a known fact that I see as much Six-Man as I can. I have done that for several years now. Sometimes I have to call an audible because other issues come up that require me to divert from my love of Six-Man. This weekend was such a case.

I surveyed the overall schedule for games that I believed would be good games to see. I narrowed it down to two games. Decision time. Sterling City and Water Valley would hook up in Water Valley and Ira and Ropes would be playing in Ira. Abilene to Ira is roughly 85 miles. Water Valley is a little over a hundred miles. The kicker was I have a grandson who plays in a youth football league in the San Antonio area. It was his first game of the season so I told my wife this would be as good a time as any to go watch him.

Knowing we would need to be on the road Saturday morning no later than 6:00 AM to make Nathan's game and thinking about the drive home on Friday night after the game in Ira or Water Valley, old age whispered in my ear that I might ought to opt for a game in Abilene instead. It so happened that Abilene Christian High School had a home game scheduled. Elmer Gray stadium is about a five minute drive from my house. They were playing Rockwall Christian. I figured ACHS would win by 25 or so but what the heck. Five minute drive back to my house seemed to be just what was needed for my tired and deteriorating body.

ACHS won the game 54-6. The panthers are impressive. The running game needs a little work I think but the passing game looks close to perfection. I will issue a PANTHER WARNING at this time. If ACHS appears on your schedule and you don't have a pass defense, you might want to consider taking a sick day. If you are not sick you will be when your game with them is over. Truly, they are scary good.

I did make the trip to San Antonio to watch the grandson. His team got drilled. Four touchdowns to none. He got to play a little more than half the game as a defensive lineman. The other team had quite a few larger kids and they double teamed Nathan all the time. He lived to fight another day. I was proud he gave it all he had. Coming home on Sunday, my son in the Waco area sent me a text with disturbing news. His four year old son, my number two grandson, has signed up to participate in futbol! Translated, that means he will be playing soccer. None of my three children ever took up such to which I can say I am proud. Number two grandson is the first of my five grandchildren to do so. It is indeed a sad day. His first day to practice is Thursday. Hope with me that the boy comes to his senses and decides his PePaw is right that soccer is a dumb game.

That is enough personal trauma. It is time to release the sixmancentral rankings for WEEK THREE.

D1
1. Throckmorton
2. Ira
3. Rankin
4. Sands
5. Aquilla
6. Valley
7. Borden County
8. Meadow
9. Aspermont
10. Water Valley

D2
1. Richland Springs
2. Motley County
3. Jonesboro
4. Sterling City
5. Miami
6. Strawn
7. Gustine
8. Milford
9. Calvert
10.Newcastle

1 comment:

CowboyP said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.