Sunday, August 28, 2011

Earthquakes, Hurricanes, and Upsets

I will try to compare what I saw in WEEK ZERO with my Preseason Top Ten in D1 and D2. I watched a game on Thursday night, a couple on Friday night and a hand full on Saturday. I picked a few games correctly and I missed a few as well.

Thursday night in Trent I expected Bryson to handle Highland. The game was closer than I thought it would be. Friday I thought Richland Springs would beat Avalon and they did. As a side note to that game, Avalon has a couple of outstanding athletes. Richland Springs was the best team I saw in WEEK ZERO. They are monsters and I believe are on their way to another title. Not just district, the BIG TITLE.

Through the years I have met lots of good folks from Richland Springs. I am happy to report I was able to visit with Richland Springs NUMBER ONE FAN. Pres. He is still going at 87 years young. I was happy to here he was able to make the HONOR FLIGHT out of Abilene not too long ago. He was pretty pumped up about that trip. I am extremely proud of him and for him and to all our servicemen and women past present and those to come in the future.

I thought Strawn would beat Calvert but they did so much more convincing that I thought they would. The second game at Hico saw Motley County snap a 29 game winning streak owned by Garden City. Took overtime and a couple of crazy bounces of the ball but they did it. BTW, I thought MC would win. I had Throckmorton ranked ahead of Valley in the Preseason Poll but I thought Valley would defeat Throckmorton. The Greyhounds proved me wrong but it was a tight game. I believed Ira would take down Follett and that Walnut Springs would do the same to Rising Star. They both did.
Out in far west Texas, McCamey to be exact, my preseason number one was doing battle with my number 8 and I thought it would be a great game with Borden County prevailing. Guess what? Rankin defeated Borden County 38-26. Let that be a lead in to the newest SIXMANCENTRAL POLL.

DIVISON 1
1. Throckmorton
2. Ira
3. Sands
4. Rankin
5. Aquilla
6. Ropes
7. Borden County
8. Garden City
9. Walnut Springs
10. Grady

DIVISION 2
1. Richland Springs
2. Sterling City
3. Motley County
4. Miami
5. Milford
6. Strawn
7. Jonesboro
8. Panther Creek
9. Gustine
10. Balmorhea

The earth moved in WEEK ZERO especially in D1. What will WEEK ONE bring? Thankfully, more SIX-MAN FOOTBALL. I can hardly wait! See you there.

No comments: