Saturday, August 20, 2011

It is Over (2 a days)

There may well be a scrimmage taking place this morning, perhaps as late as this evening, but folks, the dreaded 2 a days are done. Stick a fork in them they are done.

The season gets underway starting Thursday August 25th at selects spots around the state. Friday will see more action and Saturday there are a number of Kickoff Classics that will seal the deal on WEEK ZERO. That is the good news. The bad news is after Saturday August 27th we will have one tenth of another regular season behind us.

We all know it has been hotter than normal this year. Why do we subject our kids to doing two a days workouts anyway? The reason is simple. There are things the coach wants to work on, but in the bigger picture, the kids need it. Summers are long and busy and some kids take a break. Translated, they are out of shape. This isn't the NFL, I know. However, WEEK ZERO rolls around and we watch the games begin. No more we outscored them 3-2 or they scored 5 to our four. No, from this point on it is we won or we lost. The temperature will most likely be brutal for the first two or three weeks and with two a days behind us, the kids have a much better chance to be in shape.

It has been good for me to make a few scrimmages as I stay out of shape. I pushed myself the last two days trying to somewhat prepare me for opening weekend. Made a trip to Petersburg on Thursday for a 4 way scrimmage between Petersburg, Meadow, Knox City, and Valley. Friday I found by way to a 3 way in Richland Springs to watch them go against Oglesby and Throckmorton. Lots of travel but I have to be ready, right? I went to Trent last week to watch a three way between the Gorillas and Lueders-Avoca and Paint Creek. I am in better shape than I was.

Thursday night I will be in Trent to watch the first game of the Rumble in the Jungle featuring Highland vs. Bryson. Friday night I will find my way to Zephyr for a couple of games, Morgan vs. Zephyr JV and Avalon Vs. Richland Springs. To wrap things up WEEK ZERO a day in Hico.

The 8th Annual Hico Six-Man Super Saturday has five games scheduled. The first game is at 10:00AM, Strawn vs. Calvert. Game 2 sometime around High Noon, Motley County vs, Garden City. Third game of the days pits Throckmorton against Valley. The fourth game of the day if the field is left intact from the previous game will be Ira against Follett and for the 5th game Walnut Springs goes against Rising Star. Come to Hico and pay $10.00 and watch a game or five games if you are in shape.

I would love to be in McCamey and Trent and at Jayton but time travel is not ready.

Don Hardin
Abilene

No comments: